10/100: The perfect peanut butter cookies!

Hello friends! Peanut butter cookies are my ultimate favorite cookie flavor. I think there are many reasons for this:

1) I used to not eat chocolate as a kid because I was told I was allergic to it
2) It is the perfect sweet and salty balance
3) I LOVE peanut butter- I basically eat a PB&J every day

However, as much as I love peanut butter cookies, the perfect peanut butter cookie recipe has continually evaded me. Hoping to break this streak, I hopped onto the New York Times cooking website and found a peanut butter cookie recipe. I realize that I'm really beginning to trust and turn to the New York Times cooking recipes. My free trial is ending quite shortly and I am actually considering subscribing to the website so I can support the service. I basically subscribe to nothing, so this is earth shattering news, but I think the cause is good!


When reading through the comments people had made many adjustments, anywhere from adding more or less salt to the type of peanut butter they used. Condensing these suggestions I made a few adjustments to the recipe by taking out the roasted peanuts and choosing this type of peanut butter- 365 organic crunchy SPREAD! I chose not to include the peanuts because I find super crunchy peanut butter cookies remins me of eating peanuts rather than a cookie. I chose an organic peanut butter because I feel natural peanut butter reigns supreme over normal peanut butter, however I did choose the spread version because I have learned in the past that fully natural, separating peanut butter does not make great cookies. Sorry Eric, still on the hunt for that perfect natural peanut butter recipe!

Moving along, making these cookies was super easy. First I creamed the butter and sugar, then I added in the peanut butter and made sure it was fully incorporated. Then, I added the rest of the ingredients as normal! By the end, my mixer basically just looked like it contained a giant ball of peanut butter.

So much peanut butter!
I was nervous. Again, because I highly esteem peanut butter cookies I really wanted these to be good. In the cookie dough test, these just tasted like peanut butter, so I wasn't entirely sure how the cookies would turn out and if my adjustments had potentially catastrophically ruined the cookies. However I pushed forward and, with the help of my mom cross-hatching, made some beautiful peanut butter cookies!

Before
After! Beware the cookie spread. Like manspreading, but doughy :P
The recipe called for ~11 minutes of baking. The cue for the cookies being done was: "golden on the side, but definitely not on the top." Much like chocolate cookies, peanut butter cookies already start out "golden" so looking for a golden brown was challenging. I checked at 11 minutes and they still looked pale and uncooked and malleable, so I put them in for another 3 minutes, and another 3, and another 3. Finally at 21 minutes I took them out because they were definitely "golden." However, these cookies were not twice as large as the recipe called for, so going in for twice the amount of time was probably not the right call.

I made these cookies on Superbowl Sunday ;)
The cookies were gooey in the center, but definitely crunchy on the outside. I wish I had taken them out around the 16 minute mark to see if I could preserve some chew for the sides. However, everyone that tried the cookies really liked them and said that crunchy on the outside chewy on the inside was the norm for peanut butter cookies. They were eaten up quite quickly my friends and roomies, so I suppose I'll have to take them on their word that they were yummy! However, I'm still in search for the perfect peanut butter cookie recipe- chewy all the way through :)

This post marks being 10% done with my journey! I've made it into the double digits! Another thing I have enjoyed about this journey is how much togetherness I have experienced from it. I've (shamelessly) shared my blog with so many friends who in response said they too loved to bake and absolutely wanted to bake with me. It is lovely to have a hobby that I enjoy so much and that my friends want to nurture. You know who you are, and thank you so much!

Speaking of which, I had the opportunity to bake some chocolate cupcakes with Laura, and I will be updating you on bake 11 shortly!

Comments

Popular Posts